11/23/08

Six months ago, Chris and I got married. (Holy crap, six months already? I can't believe it's been that long!) When I picked my gown, I spoke with the seamstress about creating a pocket for my insulin pump to hide in all day long. And on my big day, my pump was safe and secure, and so was I.

Over the past few weeks, I received emails from other women who had just tied the knot. These two different, wonderful, recently-married women also had their insulin pumps worked into their wedding day, like I did. And they agreed to let me share their stories - and their gorgeous photos - here on SUM!

"I've been a reader of your blog since this spring when I Googled 'insulin pump' and 'wedding dress' in the same thread. Your site popped up and I was hooked.

I wanted to thank you for showing your readers pictures of the insulin pump pocket that your seamstress made for your wedding dress. I, too, was wondering how I'd manage a pump in that corset-back dress with a very full skirt (and no way to access a thigh holster!) Attached is what my seamstress came up with.

I was able to have my cake (and champagne) and eat it too, all while maintaining a 121 mg/dl throughout the wedding."

(The best part of this is that her best friend, Jenn, emailed me months ago about how her best friend is diabetic and is getting married. She and I corresponded for a bit ... then Lindsay emailed me a few months later! Small online world!)

"I only bolused once during the whole reception. It was one of those rare 'perfect diabetes days' - hovered between 85-110 mgdL all day! I didn't have the cake & danced like crazy, so that probably had something to do with it. :)

Anyway, it was a grand day, but my husband and I marvel at how great every day since then has been. We love being married!"

I love their pictures. I love the look on their faces - gives me goosebumps! Thank you so much, Linsday and Suzanne (and hi, Jenn!) for letting me share your stories and photos here. There's no better way to end the week than by celebrating love and showing that diabetes doesn't stop anything - not even a beautiful bride on her big day.

Source: http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2008/11/insulin_pumps_in_wedding_dress.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...